Printing the way with Roland DG
An award winning campaign for innovative printers.
Roland DG CMO Stephen Davis challenged Fight or Flight to devise a creative campaign to promote the company’s new garment printer, the catchily named Texart XT-640S-F, to textile and fashion businesses.
We kick-started our campaign with a qualitative study of 10 garment shop owners, one of whom gave us a powerful insight: “I’m not interested in what Roland or any other manufacturer says its machines can do. If you want to impress me, show me!”
In the spirit of “show not tell”, we created the world’s first “Dress Release” – a press release ornately printed onto a beautiful dress – and used it to drive a major coverage cycle across our four key markets, Italy, France, Spain and the UK.
To give the story the sparkle it needed to engage the media, we:
– Created the Dress Release across two major fashion capitals of Europe – London and Milan – using the Texart XT-640S-F printer and a series of talented seamstresses
– Engaged fashion designer Fabia Goff to create a gorgeous pattern for the dress that reflected Roland’s Japanese heritage and showed off the printer’s red, pink and green colour capabilities
– Hired a video crew to capture footage of the Roland DG technicians printing the dress in Milan and a model wearing it in London
– Developed a ‘making of’ film that allowed the audience to go behind the scenes and see the printing process for themselves
For a total cost of just £9,000, Roland DG’s “Dress Release” campaign delivered the following results:
– 60+ articles for Roland DG across the print, textile and fashion media in the UK, France, Italy and Spain.
– 46% of all coverage was non-English language, a key metric for the campaign.
– Top hits included Printwear and Promotion, Textil, Print Monthly, Fashion United, Innovation in Textiles, as well as a feature in PRWeek’s “Campaign of the Week” section in December
– On LinkedIn, despite zero paid social spend, the campaign drove 10,998 organic impressions, 1,255 engagements and an engagement rate of 11.4% (against a 2% industry average).
– The hero post was the all-time top performing post on Roland DG’s channels and delivered an engagement lift of 1,900%
Flipdish: Food Fight
Increasing UK market presence for Flipdish.
Trainline: TPS Launch
Launching a new B2B solution for Trainline
Trustly: Euro 2020
A front-page story on the day of the Euro 2020 semi-final for a Swedish payments provider.